Saturday, July 18, 2015

What Led Me Here

Hi. My name is Jacqueline Bieber. I am a 28-year-old female who has a bachelor's degree in Spanish--but yet can't speak it. I think that sentence perfectly defines who I used to be: A woman who got a degree in something she cannot use. I bet you are asking yourself why? Why would she get a degree in something, and not even be able to use it? Why would she choose to follow a path she didn't even want to walk down? Why is she putting herself down like that? Maybe you didn't ask any of those questions, but if you did, let me answer them:

I started college knowing I was going to be a lawyer. I wanted to go into Family Law and help families whose children were taken away from them. Help children who had no families. I took one English class and bailed on that idea. It was too hard. I didn't want to write an English paper, much less a brief! How was I supposed to get through law school if I couldn't sit down with a 5 page paper? The answer is, I couldn't. I would have never made it through law school. I wasn't strong enough. I allowed myself to quit. I had already quit on my dream of being a family lawyer, so it would have been super easy to quit law school. So, I branched out. I loved history--still do--and for a degree in history, you needed a foreign language class. So I took Spanish. It was okay. My professor was from Spain-Valencia in fact. She was nice. At the end of the semester, my sister's best friend died. He was 13. I missed the last two weeks of classes, and she failed me. Well, she would have failed me. Instead, she did me the ever-so-kind favor of giving me an incomplete. I had to retake the class. I retook it the next semester. My professor was fabulous! And I feel in love with the language. The grammar, the conjugation, the ins and the outs of the language....I loved every last letter. So, I didn't really choose Spanish...it chose me. 

I studied abroad in Barcelona in 2008. So. Amazing. Until my son was born, I would have told you that I left my heart there. <3 However, I had a bad experience (a story for another time), and I came home with a bad taste in my mouth. So, I did what I had to do to graduate, and not a single thing more. Honestly, I should be a teacher right now.

So you see, I graduated as quickly as possible, and then I immediately regretted it. I wanted to be a teacher, but now it was going to cost so much money...and I had made it out of college with only one loan to my name (from studying abroad), I didn't want more. 

I applied to a car dealership. I got hired. I thought, "Oh, this will be fun! I LOVE cars!" I quit 6 weeks later. I went back to school. I was going to go to graduate school and get a degree is School Psychology. I had the application all filled out except for the essay. *dunn dunn dunnnn* The dreaded essay. Remember earlier, how I said I couldn't even write a 5 page paper? Well, this damn application essay--which was only 500-1000 words--was So. Much. Worse! And I didn't complete it. So I got a job at a law office, and decided to just become a paralegal. I worked there for 2 years. I honestly loved that job. 

But of course, I wasn't making a lot of money, and I was getting married in the fall (again, a story for later), so I needed to be able to afford the wedding of my dreams. I took a job with AT&T. Again, I thought, "THIS WILL BE AMAZING! I LOVE TECHNOLOGY!" No. I hated it. I made it about two months before the panic attacks started. I worked there for 9 months though. Pretty good considering I cried my way to and from work. Plus, I never saw my fiancĂ©e. He was working nights and I was working...all sorts of crazy hours. 

I quit that job in November, was a stay at home wife for a few months, then got a job at a bank for something to do. I thought, "Oh, this will be GREAT! I love my bank!" Ha. (Do you see a pattern here, Ron?) I stayed with this job until just before I had my son.

Fast forward to now. I have been searching my whole life for the right "fit" for me job wise. I've jumped from job to job, degree to degree, and changed the whole course of my life, because even in college, I knew the courses I had set for myself, were just going to lead me in circles, or take me completely out of my way.

But now, I have found the right job for me. And let me tell you, it feels amazing! I know why every other job didn't fit until now--I am exactly where I am supposed to be.

I am a beachbody coach. And I love every single second of it. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment